How are LongCap Lamson Products, LLC knives & tools different?
All of our Lamson & Goodnow kitchen tools, trade tools and cutlery are produced by hand in Westfield, MA. We use superior materials and each item is hand crafted to perfection. We employ craftsmen who are incredible with their hands. Our products have the extra hand-finishes (like rounded spines and choils) that other knife companies can’t reproduce.
How long has LongCap Lamson Products been in business?
Lamson & Goodnow was founded in 1837 in Shelburne Falls, MA. We had been making cutlery in the old factory for more than 179 years until 2015 when the factory moved to Westfield, MA. On January 1, 2016 the name was changed to LongCap Lamson Products.
How do I care for my knife?
- Steel regularly.
- Use a steel before every use to help maintain the knife’s edge.
- Use wood or plastic cutting boards.
- Corian®, glass, and other hard surfaces can dull blades quickly.
- Clean knives after every use.
- Hand wash only and NEVER place knives in dishwasher. Harsh dishwasher detergent and bleach can harm fine knives and wooden handles.
- Store knives properly.
- Protect blades and hands by storing knives in a Lamson KnifeSafe™, wooden knife block, wooden knife tray or magnetic strip.
- Use knives only as intended.
- Never use a knife as a chisel, screwdriver, can opener, or for any other purpose that it wasn’t designed for.
Hold sharpening steel vertically on a non-slip base. Hold the knife at a 20° angle to the steel’s shaft, then draw the knife in one smooth motion from the heel of the blade to the tip. Repeat 5–6 times on each side. Be sure to use the same number of strokes for each side.
How do I sharpen my knife?
DON’T! LongCap Lamson will happily re-sharpen your knives for free in our factory. Please use the “Sharp for Life” brochure for instructions. We will turn your knives around within 24 hours of receipt and send them back to you. If you are in the area, you can drop off your knives at our factory outlet store. There is no charge to sharpen Lamson knives, but there is a $10.00 fee required to ship your knives back to you. You may send up to 10 knives at a time. Sharp For Life Information
What is covered under your Lifetime Guarantee?
We cover all knives and tools with a Limited Lifetime Warranty against material defects and workmanship. Should you have a problem with a product, please send it back to us for review. Upon inspection, we will either repair or replace the item at our discretion. We cover most situations but here are some things we do not cover:
- Any knife that has been placed in a dishwasher will not be covered. Knives are not dishwasher safe and should NEVER be washed in a dishwasher. Knives that have heat damage from hot water or stovetop will also not be covered.
- Any knife that has been used to pry open containers, dig for rocks in the back yard, used for splitting wood, sword fights, or other non-standard uses will not be covered.
- If there is a problem that occurred when using a knife for normal kitchen purposes, we will repair / replace
What is your refund policy?
Refunds within 30 days of purchase. Must be in resellable condition. Returns after 30 days will be subject to 20% restock fee.
LongCap Lamson is a manufacturer as opposed to a supplier, if an item is in stock it is shipped within 48 hours of purchase. If an item is not in stock it may take 4-6 weeks to produce since each individual item has to be hand-crafted to perfection.
Does LongCap Lamson give factory tours?
We occasionally provide customers and quests with factory tours but it is not on a regular basis. The factory is running every day and we do our best to stay out of the way when things are being made - after all, there are sharp knives EVERYWHERE! If interested in being notified of tours, please register on our web page and we will email you when we plan a tour. Maybe you can make it over for a visit.
Can I still purchase LongCap Lamson products at the old factory?
YES! We have a LongCap Lamson factory outlet store located next to the old factory. Our store hours are 10am-5pm 7 days a week, we invite you to come visit us! The address is:
LongCap Lamson Outlet Store
45 Conway St.
Shelburne Falls, MA 01370